The Free Geek Town Hall Meeting
As an organization that emphasizes input from our many volunteers, whether they are here for a day or for years, it is important that Free Geek provide an opportunity for their voices to be heard in the hallways, via mailing lists, on the Board of Directors and our Town Hall Meeting. The Free Geek Town Hall Meeting is a regular large, structured, facilitated event for volunteers, staff, and board to fulfill the following functions:
- elect core volunteer board seats
- increase FG volunteer community’s familiarity with board members and function, other volunteers, staff
- keep volunteers involved in the vision generation piece of strategic planning.
We held our most recent Town Hall Meeting on Saturday, September 22, 2012 at the nearby Helium Comedy Club. The facilitator prepared a (PDF) summary of the day’s events including her own input for those who were not able to attend.
We received excellent feedback and were happy to hear recommendations, questions and ideas from our volunteers. Many indicated that they wanted to have a better feel for what’s going on with other volunteers and “behind the scenes” at Free Geek. Fortunately, we make that very easy via these publicly/accessible mailing lists all found at lists.freegeek.org:
- Get in touch with other volunteers via http://lists.freegeek.org/listinfo/regulars
- Discuss and plan small-scale Free Geek community events via http://lists.freegeek.org/listinfo/social
- Get notification of announcements, proposals, and minutes from the Board of Directors via http://lists.freegeek.org/listinfo/board-announce
- Join the public discussion of Board of Directors business via http://lists.freegeek.org/listinfo/board-discuss
- Find out what’s happening in various meetings at http://lists.freegeek.org/listinfo/minutes
If you are interested in learning more about how you can have a voice in the decisions and directions of Free Geek, please start to contribute to these mailing lists and/or ask a staff member how you can get more involved.