Filed under: Internships
Job Title: Laptop Evaluation InternÂ
- Regularly attend Laptop Evaluation shifts and trainings
- Participate in feedback surveys before and upon completion of the internship
- Offer feedback and suggestions on improvements to procedures and documentation
- Work in Free Geek’s Laptop Program, and help to fulfill our mission of Reuse and Responsible Recycling
- Receive training in how to work with laptop hardware and Linux as a precursor for entry into our Laptop Build program
- Experience with casual computer use is desirable
- An interest in expanding your understanding of computer hardware and software
- Enthusiasm for reducing electronic waste and community building
The ideal candidate will be able to work well under stress and maintain a positive attitude in a relatively chaotic setting. The candidate will not be afraid to ask questions, but will be able to work on projects with minimal supervision. The candidate will be able to remain flexible as Free Geek grows and changes.
This internship offers exposure to a wide variety of laptop hardware, training in troubleshooting and refurbishing laptops, and experience working with free and open source software. Interns will learn how to identify different generations of computer hardware, and install the necessary components to ready these machines for our Laptop Build program. Successful completion of this internship will qualify interns for immediate access into Free Geek’s Post-Build Laptop program.
This position is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable job skills, make a difference for people and the environment, and make connections in the community. Active volunteers are eligible to receive a 20% discount on items in the Free Geek Thrift Store and to become a member of the First Tech Credit Union. Free Geek also offers free computer classes to volunteers. In addition, interns can choose to receive a free computer after volunteering 24 hours in our internship program.
Please fill out ourÂ interest form, and we’ll get back to you soon.