Free Geek offers a variety of unpaid internships to those who have the time and interest to work outside of our two introductory volunteer programs.
Interns volunteer on a set schedule, learn valuable skill sets and play a vital role in the health of Free Geek as an organization. These are competitive, challenging and highly valued positions. While we cannot pay our volunteer interns, we can offer job skills training, letters of reference, professional feedback, and resume assistance. Due to the nature of these volunteer opportunities, we ask that all applicants be 16 or older.
Our internships vary widely in what they have to offer: some are longer, some shorter, some require lots of people skills, some require the intern to be alone for long stretches. Please click on the name of the internship below for more information.
If you don’t find an internship that would work, keep checking back: this page is updated periodically as new internships become available and current ones are filled.
Which internship interests you?
- Adoption Class Teaching Internship.
- A/V Internship.
- BETA (Build, Evaluation & Test Area) Internship.
- Data Security Internship
- Donations Triage Internship
- Office Support Internship
- Online Sales Internship. – Description forthcoming
- Recycling Internship
- Spanish Build Bilingual Internship
- Teaching Internship
- Thrift Store Internship
- Technical Support Internship
- Other – Let us know what interests you, and we may be able to make it work.
How to apply
- Figure out which internship matches your interests. You’ll find short descriptions of each internship as well as links to longer descriptions above.
- Fill out our intern application form.
- A Free Geek staff member will get back to you within two weeks to plan for an interview, if it seems like you may be a good fit for the position. We ask that almost all interns take a tour before interviewing.
- Take a tour of Free Geek to check out our facility and culture. We offer tours at 11am and 4pm every day Tuesday through Saturday.
- Come in for an interview and we’ll see if you’re a good fit for Free Geek, and you can decide if Free Geek is a good fit for you.
If you’re unable to apply using the above form or have any questions prior to applying, please contact us so we can answer your questions.