An internship at Free Geek is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable job skills, make a difference for people and the environment, and make connections in the community. Each internship lasts between 3 to 6 months, with options to renew afterwards. Due to the nature of these volunteer activities, we ask that applicants be at least 16 years of age or older.
Active interns receive a 20% discount on items in the Free Geek Thrift Store and are eligible to become a member of the First Tech Credit Union. Free Geek also offers free computer classes to volunteers. In addition, interns can choose to receive a free computer after volunteering 24 hours in our internship program.
All internships at Free Geek are unpaid.
Below are links to the internships currently available at Free Geek. Click on any of them for a detailed description of the internship.
In addition to the qualities mentioned in the internship descriptions below, all prospective interns should display the following qualities:
- Effective communication skills
- Punctuality and accountability
- Patience and analytical thinking skills
- Ability to self-motivate and work effectively without direct supervision
- Ability to prioritize tasks and be flexible in a fast-paced work environment
- Comfort working alongside volunteers from a wide variety of backgrounds
Which internship interests you?
- A/V Internship
- BETA (Build, Evaluation & Test Area) Internship
- Data Security Internship
- Donations Triage Internship
- Mobile Devices Refurbishment Internship
- Reception & Outreach Internship
- Online Sales Internship. – Description forthcoming
- Printer Testing Internship
- Recycling Internship
- Spanish Build Bilingual Internship
- Thrift Store Internship
- Technical Support Internship
- Other – Let us know what interests you, and we may be able to make it work.
How to apply
- Figure out which internship matches your interests. You’ll find short descriptions of each internship as well as links to longer descriptions above.
- Fill out our intern application form.
- A Free Geek staff member will get back to you within two weeks to plan for an interview, if it seems like you may be a good fit for the position. We ask that almost all interns take a tour before interviewing.
- Take a tour of Free Geek to check out our facility and culture. We offer tours at 11am and 4pm every day Tuesday through Saturday.
- Come in for an interview and we’ll see if you’re a good fit for Free Geek, and you can decide if Free Geek is a good fit for you.
If you’re unable to apply using the above form or have any questions prior to applying, please contact us so we can answer your questions.