Hands-on learning at Free Geek
Interested in the tech field but not sure where to start? Looking to gain professional technology skills? Perhaps you’re a programmer looking for hardware skills. Or maybe you want to learn the inner workings of your own computer and learn troubleshooting basics? We’ve got you covered.
Technology Essentials: Computer Hardware & Software
TECHS Academy is a hands-on, hardware-focused education and training series for people interested in being able to work on computers—whether as a hobbyist building their own machines or learning skills to secure a career as a computer technician.
Over the course of seven sessions you will learn the basics of computer hardware and software, including major components of a computer, differences between types and specifications of devices, how to install an operating system, command line, how to interpret and act on error messages, how to install additional hardware, and so much more!
- Attend a Free Geek tour at our location. Tours are 30 minutes and offered at 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday that Free Geek is open.
- Review our Frequently Asked Questions.
- Under 16? Please have a responsible adult register to attend with you.
- Please remember to wear closed-toe shoes when visiting Free Geek.
- We do not allow bags or purses at our facility. Please leave them at home or be prepared to check them at the front desk.
Still have questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After completing this program, you are eligible to apply for an internship with Free Geek's Tech Refurbishment team.