Community & Computer Classes at Free Geek
Free Geek offers a range of educational opportunities including hands-on experiences in our Build and Adoption Programs as well as a wide variety of desk-based learning in our classroom. All classes are free to our volunteers and the general public. Please sign up in advance by visiting the volunteer desk at Free Geek or calling us at 503-232-9350.
Upcoming Classes – (printable PDF)
Almost all of the classes below are offered on a monthly basis and the new month’s schedule is rolled out approximately one week before the end of the prior month.
Interested in teaching?
We’re always looking for new volunteer teachers. Gain teaching skills while giving back to your community! We have a wide variety of classes at Free Geek, all taught by volunteers. This is a great way to get education experience.
- Set up computers and/or peripherals for each student in the class
- Teach students of varying experience and ability basic computer skills
- Teach students various classes about technology/computer/Internet use
- Develop class content for our target students
- Answer questions asked during class
- Encourage students to take other available classes
- Knowledge of basic computer use
- A high level of patience
- An interest in teaching people from a range of backgrounds
- Enjoy and work well with people
- Understand Free Geek and Open Source philosophy
- Fluency in languages other than English is a big plus, but not required
- Take a tour of Free Geek to check out our facility and culture. We offer tours at 11am and 4pm every day Tuesday through Saturday.
- Apply online. A Free Geek staff member will get back to you within two weeks.
- Come in for an interview. We’ll discuss your interests, qualifications, and availability, and determine if teaching at Free Geek is a good fit. We’ll find the right opportunity for you!