Do you need a computer? Have you volunteered 24 hours in the past year in your community, at a non-profit or a community organization? If so, you may be eligible to receive a free computer from Free Geek! This is a special offer extended only to K-12 students in the Portland metro area. Read on for details!
What you need to do:
- Complete 24 hours of community service! (Please note that students within families can pool their hours.)
- Apply for your free computer by filling out this short application form. Please check your email for an automatic mailing acknowledging your application and expect human confirmation within two weeks.
- Attend a 2-3 hour class at Free Geek and pick up your computer! The class will teach you how to use your new computer, and will guarantee you one year of free tech support. Once you submit a complete application and your volunteer hours have been confirmed, we will contact you with your class time and date. Applicants will be considered on a first come / first served basis.
- Take your computer home after the class!
Frequently asked questions
- What kind of computer will I get?
You will get:
— Dual-core Linux-based computer with at least 1 gigabyte of RAM.
— LCD monitor
— keyboard, mouse, mouse pad
— speakers or headphones
- If I volunteered as a requirement for my school, can I use those volunteer hours for a free computer?
- I haven’t volunteered anywhere, but am interested in earning a free computer. What are my options?
You could come to Free Geek to volunteer. It is easy to become involved as a Free Geek volunteer. To get started, just come to Free Geek at 11am or 4pm, to take a 30-minute orientation tour. You can sign up to volunteer at the conclusion of your tour. Those under 16 years old must volunteer alongside an adult.
- Where is Free Geek? 1731 SE 10th Avenue, Portland, OR 97214
- Can I share information about this program with my school/class/group? Yes please! Here a is flyer about the program. Please feel free to print and share.