What We Take
Free Geek accepts nearly everything that plugs into a computer or uses electricity (including smart phones, tablets, e-readers, video game systems and any old gadget you can think of) whether or not it’s in working condition. We are happy to accept your printers (including extra ink and toner), scanners, routers, UPS, digital cameras, PDAs, cell phones, and a whole lot more! In fact, it’s almost easier to tell you what we definitely don’t accept.
Free Geek has suggested monetary donation amounts for individual pieces of hardware. These funds support our volunteer programs, free classes for the community, and grants of equipment to non-profits, schools and community change organizations! As a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, equipment and monetary donations to Free Geek are tax deductible.
Free Geek proudly participates in the Oregon E-Cycles program which offers free and convenient recycling of computers, monitors, and televisions for all Oregonians. If you have more than 7 of these items, please call ahead to determine if we will accept the additional computers, monitors, or televisions for free. Also, if you will be bringing in pallet-loads of equipment (or a U-Haul full), please call ahead to set up an appointment and verify what we are able to accept free of charge.
- A/V Gizmo ($3.00 ea.)
- Camera ($2.00 ea.)
- Computers ($5.00 ea.)
- Laptops ($4.00 ea.)
- Printers ($4.00 ea.)
- Scanners ($3.00 ea.)
- LCD monitors ($4.00 ea.)
- Keyboards and Mice ($1.00 ea.)
- Networking Devices ($1.00 ea.)
- Fax Machines ($4.00 ea.)
- Telephones, including Cell Phones ($2.00 ea.)
- Stereo Components ($4.00 ea.)
- UPS ($5.00 ea.)
- Other miscellaneous gizmos ($1.00 ea.)
We DO NOT Accept:
- Smoke Detectors
- Household Appliances (including air conditioners)
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs
- Microwave Ovens
If you’d like to recycle one of the above items, visit Metro’s website to find a drop-off facility near you.
Preparing your donation for drop-off:
Recycling software and manuals:
Recycling computers is labor intensive. Doing any of the following to prepare your equipment for donation will help us speed the processing and recycling of your equipment.
- Untangle all cords and cables. Coil them up with a rubber band or twist tie.
- Attach power adapters (AC adaptors, transformers) to their associated equipment (such as powered speakers, printers or routers) as best you can.
Please do not leave donations outside of business hours 10 am to 6 pm Tuesday through Saturday. DUMPING IS ILLEGAL and puts your personal data at risk.
- Smart phones and Tablets
- Functional laminator
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Wire cutters and cable cutters
- Stardrivers (Torx) size T20 and smaller
- Powerdrivers w/rechargers
- Needlenose pliers
- Cleaning supplies (especially dish soap, sponges, trash bags and ecofriendly cleaning products like Simple Green)
- First aid supplies (bandages!)
- Rubber bands
- Printer paper (8.5″x11″, suitable for laser printers)
- Toilet paper
- Food (snacks, juice, chocolate)
- Tape (packing, masking, duct)
- Shop carts
Alternately, we’re always happy to receive (tax-deductible) monetary donations! Click here to do so.