You do not need a computer background to contribute to Free Geek as a volunteer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to get involved. Our facility is mostly accessible, and we welcome people with different abilities. Whether you want to learn, perform community service, get school credit, earn a computer or support the cause(s), we have room for you!
Take a 30-40 minute volunteer orientation tour 11am or 4pm Tuesday-Saturday to learn about our many volunteer opportunities and to sign up. Find out more about how to get started here!
You may schedule up to two shifts at a time. Volunteer shifts occur between the hours of 10AM and 6PM, Tuesday through Saturday. Volunteers may work in any of the following task areas when they meet the specific requirements:
- Recycling Bench: Disassembling desktop systems for recycling.
- Recycling Table: Disassembling smaller electronics for recycling.
- Sorting Table: Sorting incoming items and carrying items around Free Geek.
- Testing: Testing hardware like keyboards, components, and monitors for reuse.
- Beginner Reuse Workshop: Introduction to learning how to refurbish computers (choose desktop or laptop focus).
- Reuse Shift: Refurbishment and quality control of computers (choose desktop, laptop, or Mac focus).
Volunteer Shift Requirements
There are no age limits for volunteers; however, we require that volunteers be able to follow instructions and that those under 16 be accompanied by an adult.
||Beginner Reuse Workshops
If you would like to make a larger commitment to Free Geek, gain more skills, or guarantee a regular schedule our Internships may interest you. Free Geek offers unpaid internships that come with valuable job skills training, resume assistance, letters of reference and feedback on performance. These are highly appreciated and competitive positions.
We provide an excellent experience for up to 16 coworkers, students, or group members to give back to their community and help protect the environment. Please submit a Group Volunteer Form to schedule your group today.
Free Geek could not exist without its fabulous volunteers. Thank you for donating your time to support the Free Geek mission. We’re happy to have you as one of our over 2,000 yearly active volunteers!