Are you interested in teaching at Free Geek?
Free Geek's technology classes, workshops, and mentoring sessions are entirely volunteer-powered! Our goal is to help participants reach their own goals with technology. We strive to spark interest in technology and build confidence that anyone can learn and work with technology. By teaching a class at Free Geek, you’ll have the opportunity to hone your teaching skills while giving back to the community! It’s a great way to get experience in the field of education.
We’re committed to offering a meaningful experience for volunteers. This includes ongoing training and support from Free Geek.
View our classes to get an idea of the types of classes we offer. Our curriculum centers around computer hardware, digital privacy and safety, and basic training in software, creative media, programming, and open source.
"It is the job of the facilitator to mobilize confidence, to share tools, and to challenge people to think for themselves." |
George Lakey, Facilitating Group Learning
- Teach computer skills to students of varying experience and ability levels
- Teach students about technology, computer, and Internet use
- Develop class content for our community of learners
- Set up computers and/or peripherals for use by students
- Answer learner questions during class
- Encourage further learning by promoting enrollment in other available classes
- Knowledge of basic computer use
- High level of patience
- Interest in teaching students from a range of backgrounds
- Enjoy and work well with people
- Understand Free Geek’s mission
- Fluency in languages other than English is a plus
We're always seeking volunteers for different class topics or for 1-on-1 mentorship. In general, the training process takes 3-4 weeks, so we are looking for volunteers ready to commit for at least 6 months of teaching. This may be weekly, biweekly or monthly depending on your preference and Free Geek's schedule.
How to Apply
- Take a tour of Free Geek to get to know our facility and culture. Tours are offered at 11am and 4pm, Tuesday through Saturday.
- Apply online. A Free Geek staff member will respond to your request within two weeks.
- Come in for an interview, where we will discuss your interests, qualifications, availability, and determine if teaching at Free Geek is a good fit for you.
Please complete this brief application form. A Free Geek staff will respond within 2 weeks of submission.