All in person one-on-one tech appointments at the Free Geek building have ended as of March 17th to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
A free resource for Free Geek's community, providing volunteer-powered technology help through one-on-one appointments.
Have a Computer Question?
Book today for one-on-one tech help! Learn valuable Linux Mint computer skills, find answers to your questions, and get technical advice. This is a free, volunteer-powered service. When registering, you must sign a release to participate.
- Free Geek mentors will teach valuable computer and troubleshooting skills, answer questions, and give technical advice.
- This program is a free, volunteer-powered complement to our Classes and Tech Support.
What Can I Get Help With?
- Using your Linux computer
- Running updates
- Installing software
- LibreOffice help
- Accessing and using the internet
- Troubleshoot a computer problem
- Implement digital privacy and safety tools like a password manager or VPN
- And more!
Details & What to Bring:
- You must book an appointment online.
- Please bring your device (laptop and power cord, or desktop tower only).
- Volunteers may be able to help with smartphones and tablets based on capacity.
Community Tech Appointments are not a replacement for Technical Support. Need in-warranty help?
Community Tech Appointments Terms of Service
Please review these before booking an appointment.
In consideration of Free Geek’s Community Tech Mentor providing computer support services for me, I agree and/or represent that:
- I have been assigned a Free Geek ID and am currently a member in good standing of Free Geek;
- I certify that I am the owner of the personal computer and any other equipment being presented to Free Geek, and the support I request is for ethical and lawful purposes only;
- Free Geek’s Community Tech Appointments are provided free of charge;
- Free Geek reserves the right to refuse to provide services for any reason;
- I acknowledge that Free Geek officially requests and recommends that I create viable backups of all information and software on my devices before bringing them to Free Geek;
- Opinions expressed by Mentors do not represent the views of Free Geek;
- I understand that utilizing Free Geek’s computer support services is voluntary.
- I acknowledge that Free Geek Community Tech Mentors and Free Geek make no verbal or written guarantee, either expressed or implied, on any services rendered at Free Geek.
- I further fully recognize that Free Geek’s computer support services rendered may result in substantial risk of damage including but not limited to voiding existing equipment warranties and the malfunction or physical damage to computer, computer accessories or the computer’s programs.
- Knowing and understanding these risks, I assume all responsibility and risk for any damage to my personal computer and computer accessories that may result from Free Geek’s Community Tech Appointments; and
- Furthermore, I (including my guardians, and legal representatives) agree to release, waive, indemnify, and hold harmless Free Geek its trustees, officers, employees, faculty, interns, volunteers and members from and against any and all liability for any harm, injury, damage, claims, demands, actions, causes of action, costs, and expenses of any nature that may result from Free Geek’s services.
- All Free Geek policies apply.
I have read and fully understand the above provisions and agree to be bound by them, as indicated by checking the box on the registration form.