Join the Free Geek community
Want to learn how to build computers, save the environment from toxic e-waste, and transform the lives of people in your community? We have a place for you here at Free Geek!
Free Geek volunteers are the driving force behind our mission. Our volunteers make a difference by disassembling computers for recycling, sorting equipment from donors, and much more.
As a volunteer, you’ll receive:
- A free desktop computer or laptop with warranty after 24 hours of service
- 20% discount at The Free Geek Store
- Membership eligibility at the First Tech Federal Credit Union
Who can volunteer?
We encourage people of all ages, backgrounds, and areas of interest to get involved at Free Geek.
- No computer experience is required
- Our facility is mostly ADA-accessible
- We are sensitive to and can work with people with different abilities
We only require that volunteers be able to follow instructions and that those under 16 years old are accompanied by an adult who can work alongside them. Whatever your reason for donating your time, we’d love to welcome you to the Free Geek community.
Interested in bringing a group to volunteer? Please submit a request online.
What do volunteers do?
At Free Geek, we are proactive in creating an accepting community that provides meaningful opportunities for all.
Recycling Volunteer Shifts
Disassembling desktop systems for recycling.
Disassembling smaller electronics for recycling.
Sorting and moving around incoming items.
Become a Volunteer Instructor
Passionate about technology and learning? Our curriculum centers around computer hardware, digital privacy and safety, and basic training in software, creative media, programming, and open source. If that sounds like a match with your expertise, consider volunteering as an instructor!
The Reuse Volunteer Program concluded in August 2018. Free Geek launched a new education program, TECHS Academy, in October 2018 to better serve our curious community of learners!
How to volunteer
- Read and agree to follow our General Conduct Guidelines.
- Take a 30 minute volunteer orientation tour, offered at 11am and 4pm on Tuesday through Saturday. Please arrive 10 minutes early to fill out paperwork. This tour is offered in both English and Spanish.
- Schedule up to two shifts at a time during Free Geek’s open hours.
- Be prepared to check your bag with the front desk staff.
Requirements & Things to Know
- Individuals under 16 years of age must have an adult with them while in our facility.
- Individuals who are not legally able to be around children cannot volunteer at Free Geek.
- Individuals with restraining orders against them may not be able to volunteer at Free Geek, depending upon the situation. Please check with a staff member about your situation.
- Court-ordered community service not related to theft or violent crime can be done in Free Geek’s recycling center. Please bring all relevant paperwork and court documents with you for the tour.
- We do not allow bags or purses at our facility. Please leave them at home or be prepared to check them at the front desk.
- Free Geek is a warehouse environment. For your safety, please wear closed toed shoes whenever you come to Free Geek.
To request an accomodation, please email us at email@example.com or call (503) 232-9350 at least two days in advance. We are happy to work together!
Free Geek is partially accessible. Free Geek's volunteer spaces are on the first floor. Doors meet ADA width standards but are not automatic. There are four all-gender single-stall bathrooms at Free Geek.
Transportation and Parking
Free Geek is accessible via the #2, #6, #10, #14, and #70 TriMet bus lines. Bike parking is available in front of our building.
Free street parking is available throughout our neighborhood. We do have a limited number of parking passes on loan if you need to park in a 2-hour Zone G parking spot. You can ask for these when you arrive.
Safer Space Policy
We strive to make Free Geek a welcoming, safe and comfortable space for everyone (volunteers, staff, donors, visitors) and appreciate your best efforts to treat all others with respect and understanding. Thank you for doing your part to make this a safer space for everyone regardless of their background, experience, and abilities. If you see anyone engaging in any of the below activities, please let a staff member know so we can follow up appropriately. The following are not acceptable behaviors at Free Geek: Attitudes, jokes, and language that are discriminatory or demeaning on the basis of race, class, gender identity, sex, age, spoken language, nationality, culture, physical appearance, sexual orientation, or ability/disability. Acts or threats of violence, including intimidation, harassment, and/or coercion. Sexual harassment. Theft.
For More Information
Please contact the Free Geek Front Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 232-9350. We are open Tuesdays through Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
I saw the most diverse students and volunteers learning and working together at Free Geek. (Thank you!)
Stephanie Pino-Heiss, volunteer
Free Geek offers a variety of competitive and challenging internships for those who have the time, interest, and motivation to work outside the scope of our main volunteer program.